Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Trip Home

My trip home was odd, as usual. From Friday to Monday we were saying goodbye to teachers right, left and center. It was hard to see them go, especially since most of them we wouldn't be seeing again...I don't think it's hit me yet, in fact, I don't think it will hit me until I go back to Pinares next year...

The trip home was exciting to say the least. Heidi, Melodee and I had the same flight to Houston. We left Teguc late and rushed through the airport to find our gates in Houston. Heidi and I found out our flight was cancelled (Melodee had the same problem, we didn't find out until we got home). We went into a service line and started talking to a couple behind us, who had the same flight as us. The service lady thought Heidi and I were funny, she gave us 'blanket coverage' which included room and meals at the Ramada North hotel and even an overnight kit! The couple behind us wasn't so lucky...we went to bat for them so they received the same treatment! We watched the end of the Stanley Cup playoffs at the hotel, too bad we lost, but honestly...who wants to carry around a big metal cup that sweaty men carry around and slobber over! :S I guess its better if our guys slobber over it! bleh...

Houston was flooded while we stayed there. Certain parts were being evacuated...and there were cars and trucks stuck in flood waters up to the car doors. Amazingly, we didn't have any problems with that. We did have problems with an airport shuttle. Too many people crammed into a late shuttle to get to a flight that was boarding in an hour! It was intense! We had to fight to be let off first! Go Canadians go! I met a lady from Zimbabwe in Houston who had been traveling for three days with her two young children! It sounded like a hard flight for her, especially since she had to wait 3 hours for her husband to come pick her up!

I have to say that when I did get home there was a sign waiting for me with balloons...my brother's family put it together, I thought that was so sweet, and a nice thing to come home to! :D

I lost one of my bags with all the changes to our flights. It came today - shipped by bus to Callander! When my dad and I went to pick it up an old lady got off the bus...we were surprised since the gas station we were at was closed, and no one was around! She told us she was expecting her sister to be there - so we stayed with her. A couple minutes later a car came in, it was another older lady (not the sister!)...who proceeded to ask directions and then started to tell us her life story! :) I think she had been on the road too long and needed some human contact, so we talked to her until the other lady's sister arrived...it's an eventful time at a gas station! I love Canada for people being able to stop and talk without feeling threatened!

In Him,
-Amy-

4 Comments:

At 9:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for no more traveling for 7 whole weeks!!!!! we should start praying now for no storms/hurricanes during the first couple weeks of august.

 
At 6:53 am, Blogger Dan said...

For old times sake...

Amy casero agradable. Estoy alegre usted tenía un viaje seguro. Lo quisiera si el goteo de hombres del sudor en la taza de Stanley era de los hombres del engrasador de Edmonton. Espero que la oración traduzca bien. Soy escuela acabada el viernes próximo. Mi esposa está esperando ahora entregar a nuestra segunda hija cualquier día.

los vendedores de calle que venden las ensaladas y las pastas son ladrillos altos en un mar de las cajas del cigarrillo.

 
At 1:57 pm, Blogger -Amy- said...

Melodee: I'm with you on the prayer!

Dan: Su español no está consiguiendo mejor. Usted necesita intentar un nuevo Web site. ¡Felicitaciones en su nuevo miembro de la familia!

Vicki: I look forward to seeing you soon!

 
At 7:13 pm, Blogger Asylum said...

wow! Crazy trip! I'm glad you guys made it home safely. WELCOME BACK TO CANADA! Enjoy your summer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home