Friday, August 26, 2005

The First Week



The first week of classes was very full! Not only did we jump into school wholeheartedly, but after school activities didn’t stop. Every day this week there has been something waiting for us. On Sunday when we came home Jen from upstairs was locked out, so we helped her climb up to the back entrance using a wooden ladder (it’s not too easy to do in a skirt!). On Monday…well…actually, I don’t remember there being anything on Monday (go figure!).

But Tuesday, my roommates and I organized a pizza potluck. We had about 40 teachers enter our little home bringing good smelling food! It was a great time of fellowship where we talked about everything from home to scheduling. The Trouts and the Swanson’s brought their kids over, so there was lots of entertainment as well! Since I took a lot of photos of that event, I’ll try to send out a photo album to you all.

Wednesday was when I crashed. I was pretty tired and had completely drained myself of energy during the day. The students were fine, in fact, I’m enjoying this year for behavior issues, but the constant demands during the day completely sapped me of strength. So when I had a lunch meeting, an after school meeting and then heard that we had rescheduled Bible Study for that night, I was a bit overwhelmed. The power went out that night as well, making it dark in the apartment with only candlelight. That definitely makes you sleepy! Heidi tried reading in the dark and Trina tried to work…I don’t think it worked well! Kyle came over and made us dinner (we were supposed to go over to his apartment, but we’re one of the only places that has a gas stove – very handy for power outages). We did end up going to Bible Study, with the lights coming back on moments before. This year we started a study on Ephesians. It looks pretty promising, since we had an in-depth discussion on the first half of Chapter 1 verse 1. I enjoyed it – even being exhausted!

Thursday I had duty after school, which meant I stayed at the elementary side by the ‘Big Toy’ until everyone was gone. It was pretty peaceful (other than the stinky black smoke coming from the buses!). Melodee and Heidi went down to look at fabric for swimsuits while I made dinner.

Friday will be the first High School Bible Study. I’m hoping it goes well. I’m pretty involved this year with extracurricular spiritual groups. I’ll also be helping with the Youth Retreats, putting together activities and games with Heidi. That’s coming up soon (Sept. 30th) so I’d better get moving on it!

Saturday a large group of us will be going to La Tigra…it hosts a waterfall further up the mountain. I had heard a lot about it last year, but never ended up getting there…so this will be a new experience for me! Well Melisa, I hope this was a long enough blog for you! ;)


Again, thank you for all of your prayers and emails, I enjoy hearing from you all!

Photo of the day: Trina with Lilian Trout at the pizza potluck!


In Him,
Amy

4 Comments:

At 5:11 pm, Blogger dan carlson said...

woah. waterfights, pizza potlucks, scaling small houses. the south (central?) american teaching experience certainly seems to be a great time. glad that you're having a swell adventure of it. it certainly sounds like more fun than engineering! (though, it sounds like it might be a bit more work as well). also, where did you get the awesome abk shirt from the waterfight pictures?

 
At 12:43 pm, Blogger -Amy- said...

I believe you know the answer to that question Dan! This summer I splurged while counseling at Jr. Girls - I even bought a toque, which will come in handy during the cold season! I'll keep you updated with the good times. ;)

 
At 7:00 am, Blogger Rach B said...

Ah power outages I must say I enjoy that it doesn't happen too often here!!

 
At 7:02 am, Blogger Rach B said...

Hey I understand being locked out!! It happened to me twice in one weekend!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home