Feeding Centre
This past week was full. We had our first meeting of the drama club. It went well, the students put their all into what we had them do and ended up having Betsy and I rolling on the floor laughing. It looks like we'll have a great time with them!
Friday night I went to Bible Study at Laparra's. I was exhausted all day so when I arrived at Henry's he pulled out the chocolate-raspberry coffee. It went well, there were 12 students who opened up very nicely...we had them discuss the difference between worldly success and Spiritual success. Afterwards, 6 of the grade 9 girls slept over at Tiffany Fischer's place - I don't think there was much sleep going on!
Saturday Heidi and I went to the Feeding Centre with a few other teachers. I enjoyed seeing the children. There were so many of them, it was hard to move in the building...they were constantly wanting hugs and any attention we could give them (especially 'photos' - they loved having their picture taken). I met a girl named Marissa who was 12 years old. She clung to me most of the time. I taught her a couple of English phrases and she introduced me to her brother. As I was sitting with her I watched some of the other kids...a few of them had infections that needed treatment. Marissa had hurt her head and it wasn't healing properly. It's hard to see that. Most of these kids are starved for attention...The church that works with the Feeding Centre was getting a list of kids who show up each week so they could give them all a present at Christmas. That will be an exciting day! Probably a lot of mass chaos, but the rewarding kind!
Sunday Kyle and I sang a special at church. It was the first time Kyle played guitar in front of a group - go Kyle! From what we heard from everyone it went well!
On Monday we had a cold front hit the mountain...hard! We still went to school (my classroom - the sauna, was actually at a nice temperature!). After school, all the staff bundled up and went to the Auditorium for a thanksgiving dinner. It was amazing!! The food was delicious - made even better because the power went out, giving us only candlelight to eat with. Today (Tuesday) we have the day off, because of the cold. The mountain has a temperature of 8 degrees celsius. Which can be pretty chilly without central heating! It is a good day for this though since we will be having Thursday and Friday off for American Thanksgiving...a group of us want to go to Nicaragua. We'll see what happens with that!
Pictures of the day: Our experiences with the Feeding Centre...

Me and a group of kids, the yellow building behind me is the feeding centre. A two room building that was made after Hurricane Mitch destroyed this area.

Beautiful faces...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home